Wednesday, January 11, 2006

This Post Sponsered by: Squeeeee!

And the movie Rudy, which is The Best Football Movie Ever Made. Which features a gratuitous amount of "the Slow Clap" and a generous swell of heart-stirring music, along with a very cute, very young, pre-Lord of the Rings/Samwise Gangee, aka Sean Astin. Please note that I don't like football, and when S. watches, I usually say either, "Is it over yet?" or "Is the green team winning?" In case you were, I don't know, temporarily embalmed in Ulan Bator when this movie came out...go directly to Netflicks/BlockBuster/Your local video store and BUY, don't rent it. If you don't choke up just a little, well, your heart must be black and made of tar and tiny crumbs of evil.


I found this little chap/lass? doggedly scaling our house this afternoon - I'm not normally a bug fan, in fact I often remind Fynn that his duty in life is to Look Cute and Eat/Kill/Destroy all Bugs. Please don't think that we live in a vermin-infested sty - its just that with the old houses, there are larger gaps between things like windows, screens, frames, etc - and the invertebrates like to make their way in. I leave lots of windows open, and also I think living under a veritable Forest of Oak trees invites these weird little moths round.

For the praying mantises (mantissi?), ladybugs (Did you know they are a symbol among the adoption community? I didn't until a few years back - I wonder what the origin is - Karen? Salsa in China? care to elucidate?) and these guys, I make an exception. I think its the killer combo of big (relatively) shiny black eyes, furry little bodies and funny round feet - in multiples! that makes me want to just pet them. Don't you? Very, very gently of course.

It could just be me. I was reading something the other day about how every country has a cuteness tolerance, kind of like a sweet tooth. Japanese "kawaii"-tolerance (so cute/precious!) is very high, with Hello Kitty figures, etc, everywhere, while other places (Germany comes to mind, but I could be wrong) ...not so much. Cars like the Mini and the new bug are all rounded edges and "bug eyes". So I guess with the U.S.' cute-tooth is getting stronger as well.

What about you? Seen anything really adorable lately? Check this out!

1 comment:

Maya said...

Oh I've got wool - I just don't wear it most of the time (although I'm going to NEED it next week in Colorado! brrr!) He's a plant-eater, thank goodness. I re-released him into the wilds of my weedy yard, where he is hopefully munching away. Thanks!