Monday, March 20, 2006

A Walk in the Park

Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls: all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves. ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers

In this spirit, I give you the lovely Alice Keck Park.
In my garden there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are as beautiful. ~Abram L. Urban

Alice Keck Park was a philanthrapist sometime....before now - I just realized that her name wasn't Alice Keck, it was Alice Keck Park - thus the place is called Alice Keck Park Memorial Gardens. Bit of a mouthful, but surely less confusing when compared with "Alice Keck Park Park."

Technically not from the park - but v. v. close so I'll just pretend.











Bouganvilla - say it with me, "Boo-gun-vee-yaa" - not, "Bow-gun-vill-ea", grows like crazy all over S.B. Sometimes pale, creamy and almost light yellow, the more common pinky-red color, deep purple and dark red, or my favorite, this salmon-y shade. Nasty thorns make it a real pleasure to trim - I actually had a "fort" of it as a kid - my friends and I hacked out a bush of it to make it hollow over one Christmas, er, I mean, winter, break. Said bush (dark red) was about fifteen feet wide and about ten deep, and grew on a slope of about forty degrees. I'm amazed I don't carry the scars from the inch-plus thorns to this day. Fun fact: Those are technically not flowers, but leaflets. The flower portion are the little ball-shaped doodads in the center of each grouping. Ok, not so much "fun" fact as "nerdy plant-based" fact, but - you never know when you're going to get caught up in a game of Trivial Pursuit.



Some trees with pretty, pretty red leaves.



The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

A tiny waterfall and some more of those darn succulents (love 'em!) and what I believe is some kind of squash family flower conclude today's tour.



I perhaps owe having become a painter to flowers. - Claude Monet

Enjoy the park! Koi ponds and the thorn-covered tree next time!

5 comments:

Hay Lady said...

Loving the pictures! I'm so jealous...you live in such a beautiful place.

Indulge me, if you would, what kind of camera are you currently using? I need a new one so bad!

Meepers said...

I'm currently using (LOVING!) the darling little Cannon Power Shot SD 450 Elph. Pertinent details: 500 megapixels, huge screen so you can actually see the picture, video-capable (haven't used that bit yet) and (bonus!) good old hubs got me the spiffy deep red case and strap for it. I love it so much, I may name it. Yes... what to call a camera? Suggestions?

MyUtopia said...

Those are breathtaking pictures and I love the little quote/poems associated with them.

Hay Lady said...

Thanks for the referral. I'm thinking Ruby is appropriate.

Meepers said...

Why thank you, thank you both! and Ruby she is. So now it'll be "Travels with Ruby" or "Ruby Tuesdays"...