Thursday, April 20, 2006

Still Waiting for the Punchline

The other night, S. turned to me and asked,

"Babe, what do you call the top of Africa?"

Me: "Ummm... Egypt? Libya? Morocco?" (thanks, American geography system, for allowing me to completely MISS Tunisia and Algeria, gaaaahhhhd!)

S: "No, what do you call the top part?" (v. intense voice)

M: "Really, I have no idea what you're talking about. At all."

S: "Ok, well what do they call the bottom of Africa?"

M: "South Africa?" (anticipatory)

S: "aaannnd... the middle of Africa?"

M: "Africa... dear, is there a point to this line of questioning? Seriously, I need to know if I should be consulting an atlas or possibly Google earth?"

S: "Ok, well, what do they call the top of South America?"

M: (rolling eyes) South. bloody. America. Venezuela. Columbia. Whatever."

S: "and the bottom of South America?"

M: "Duuude...Chile! Get to the point, please. For the love of all that is holy!" (Yes, we really call each other dude. Get over it.)

S: "So, why don't they call the bottom of it South South America, and the top of it North South America?" I stared at him for about thirty seconds, to see if there was a secret punchline hidden deep in there somewhere. There wasn't. I started my own version of the Silent Shake, tears pouring down my face.

"You know, 'cause I was doing some thinking, and that was what I was thinking about."

The comedy in our house? Never-ending.

6 comments:

Peter said...

Hey, are you guys back in Santa Barbara? Tell S he needs to check out these bands:

Wolfmother (they live up to the hype)
White Rose Movement (fun dancey electro)
Smashing Pumpkins' Gish (classic album)

Maya said...

We are indeed, back - and I will tell him straight away. I think we have Gish, not 100% sure, but knowing Scott, its here ... somewhere. Hee!

bee said...

i think you outed your hubby, meepers. you might want to edit.
i was just thinking about how you were doing - glad to see you're back! woooooo!

Maya said...

Bee - LOL - he really doesn't care - I just call him S. so he doesn't Google himself someday and see how much silliness/adoration I talk about him with. I don't mind when people comment to me as Maya, either - Meepers is sort of an old joke from my old office. Thanks! Glad to be back!

Maya said...

Hey P - S. said he's heard Wolfmother and he really liked them - we have indeed had Gish for-ev-vah!

Peter said...

good. now all you need is white rose movement. check out their page here or here.